This past weekend I was invited to a 1st anniversary BBQ for a local Motorcycle Club in my area. . . so I decided to make Harley Davidson themed cupcakes … but what flavor should I make them? hmmmm … when I think of bikes I think of big strong MEN! and stereo-typically I think that big strong biker boys would be drinking WHISKEY! Jack Daniel’s Whiskey to be exact … So with that in mind I came to the conclusion that I would make Jack & Coke Cupcakes!
I had a basic Idea in my mind about which recipes I’d use and what I wanted from these cupcakes but looking online I found that most of the cakes were chocolate based … that didn’t incite any fires of desire for me to eat a chocolate cupcake when I wanted a cupcake reminiscent of a Jack & Coke that I’d serve at the bar (I am also a bartender, so drink flavors are my favorite cake flavors!) So I decided I’d wing it and mix and match a few of my favorite recipes and hope for the best!
I started out with my FAVORITE cola cupcake recipe from Cupcake Project
- 1 C cola (I used Stop & Shop Brand Cola this time, but I’ve used Coca-Cola and Pepsi in the past)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 2 tsp Soda Stream Cola Flavor
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the soda and vinegar and let stand for a few minutes.
- Add in the sugar and oil, whisking vigorously until slightly frothy.
- Mix in the Cola Flavoring, flour, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners approximately 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Then I topped them with a Jack & Coke Syrup. You can make this while the cupcakes cool.
Jack & Coke Simple Syrup
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1/4 C Water
- 1 T Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
- 1 T Soda Stream Cola Flavoring
- To make the simple syrup, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is warm and the sugar has dissolved. Set aside and let cool until ready to use.
& to top it all off .. a Jack Daniel’s Buttercream Frosting (Recipe adapted from Annie’s Eats Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting)
For Jack Daniel’s Buttercream Frosting
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2-3 C confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 3-4 T Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
- To make the frosting, place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar until it is all incorporated. Mix in the Jack Daniel’s until smooth. Add more if necessary until the frosting has reached a good consistency for piping or spreading. Frost the cupcakes as desired. (I did not measure the sugar or the whiskey when I made my frosting, I would just add whatever amounts till u feel u have the right flavor and consistency)
After all of your components are finished, the cupcakes should be nice and cool. Poke holes in the cupcakes with a toothpick and brush some of the Jack & Coke Syrup onto the top of each cupcake. I did this twice for good measure. Then pack up your pastry bag with Frosting and swirl onto cupcakes as desired. ! Enjoy!
(SIDENOTE: I do not own the Harley Davidson Logo, the MC logo, Coca-Cola or Jack Daniel’s. although that would be AWESOME!)